In our walk through the region of the Alpujarra we have landed today in Bubión. A town, which like all of the area, has an extraordinary natural beauty. Between steep streets, whitewashed houses, and slate roofs, is in front of the town hall, the Church of the Virgin of the Rosary.
The Church of the Virgin of the Rosary is of Mudéjar style, and dates from Century XVI. It was attached in 1501 as a parish annexed to that of Capileira.
The church of Bubión was erected on a mosque. It was finished building around 1570. Just 9 years after it was finished, the temple was burned during the Moorish rebellion. At the beginning of the seventeenth century the masses were celebrated in the sacristy while the works lasted. Possibly this new church was designed by Ambrosio de Vico. Between 1693 and 1719 the temple was rebuilt again.
In 1804 the earthquakes destroyed much of the church. The natural architect of Nieles, Nicolás de Funes, rebuilt the temple conserving the lines of the primitive church. According to the description given by Pascual Madoz in the 19th century, here was worshiped San Sebastian and San Francisco de Paula. In addition adds Madoz
... in it was a magnificent canvas, admiration of all who saw it, in which they had painted birds of all kinds, with a surprising property; and this painting was erased with lime by D. Antonio Pagés, curate of the town for the years 1826 and 27, whose sad memories are preserved.
The cover of the church of the Virgin of the Rosary of Bubión is simple, of Tuscan order. A half-point arch, framed with entablature, pilasters, and an oculus at the top to give light to the choir, welcome us to the temple.
The Church is a single nave, covered with armor. It has a larger chapel of square plan and without altarpiece, that is placed behind a toral arc, and its cover is a vault vaída.
The presbytery is presided over by an image of Our Lady of the Rosary, below a Crucified and on both sides, the Virgin of the Angustias and San Sebastián.
On the walls of the nave and the presbytery are several images. Among the most outstanding pieces are a set of two images of San Jose and the Child that makes a gesture of grabbing the hand. This work is attributed to the artist Alonso de Mena, placing the image around the second quarter of the seventeenth century.
Adjoining next to the Gospel of the nave rises a Mudejar tower, square plan and three bodies. The belfry, with two bells, has a half-point arch in each side, and is covered with a four-way roof. The tower was originally a Nasrid tower, which served as a bulwark to the followers of Aben Humeya, during the rebellion of the Moors in the Alpujarra.
A good time to visit Bubión is to do it during your holidays. Although the day of the town patrons are, on January 17, San Antón and January 20 San Sebastian, the celebrations are held in August, taking advantage of the greater influx of people and the return of those who left the village. During the fiestas, both patrons go together in procession throughout the town, for two days in a row, changing the order of the procession.